Sunday, March 09, 2008

2008 Tipp Hill Run

We survived it!!

This year there was alot more people. Faster people, but that did not slow down my progress this year. I finished 914th but shaved about 4 minutes off my time. I can't beat that!!!

I believed that I was not ready for this race. I did not practice that outside on the hills that much this year. I did alot of my training on the treadmill. The Y has a new treadmill that has a Killer Hill program and when I can I have been training on that.

On Friday, I went to pick up the race packets at Nipsy's Bar. I picked up for Teresa and Rob (Teresa's Husband). Then I headed to the Fair Grounds for the Motor Sports Expo. The Car that Ron works on was there so we went to see it. I met the Ron and the Kids there are we stayed until around 8pm. With the bad weather and the slush everywhere, what normally takes us 1/2 hour took us 1 1/2 hours to get home. This was not a good thing right before the race!!

I try to get as much sleep as I can (which happen to be not much) and on Saturday, I meet Teresa and Rob at the Y. The roads are now 100% better than they were the night before. Now I'm thinking this might not be so bad. We decide to meet at the Y because after the race, Brian has a soccer game that I believe that I have to help coach. So to help me Rob drives to the race.

The race is near the Zoo and they have us park over in their parking lot. Rob parks in the Turtle section of the parking lot. Teresa and I tease him that we need to park in Tiger or something faster. But he pulls in and off we go to meet Bridget and Bill.

We are there about 45 minutes before the race is to start. We meet Bridget and Bill in the ice rink and start talking about how are think we are going to do. Bridget tells me that she has not run at all before this. But I have faith in her. With all the Pi-yo classes she has been teaching, she still has all that strength and stamina. I know that she will do good.

This year I planed it a little better with the clothing. I did not wear has much as I did last year. I believe that I won't get so over heated.

They call us to the starting line. Because Bill is faster, he is ahead of us. Bridget, Teresa, Rob and I head down the hill. Right before the race one of the houses is playing Eye of the Tiger from Rocky. This gets everybody going. They play the national anthem and Danny Boy....it's the shamrock run ok..and then the gun goes off.

Teresa and Rob take off, Bridget and I set a good pace. Bridget tells me if I have to go ahead, do so!! What little does she know that I'm thinking of saying the same thing to her!!! Bridget sets a great pace. It was perfect. It got me to mile 2 with no problems!!! This is even with some of the hills. What helps is that there is also a band at every bar on Tipp Hill!!! That means there is a band at almost every corner!!

We get past the Catholic Church and heads towards Nipsy's bar. This is where I start to loose it. Not physically. Mentally. I get up the hill by Nipsy's and Bridget is step by step with me. I'm starting to think that I will be ok. I turn the corner at Coleman's bar to go up to what Bridget calls "Big Mama" Hill and I lose it. I feel so sick. I tell Bridget to go....just go. I go over to the side and throw up water once Bridget can't see me. I stopped at the same spot last year!!! Damn!!! I do believe that I just have a mental problem in that area.

I then think that maybe I started to get over heated. I take off my dry-weave sweat shirt and cheap gloves (I threw them in the gutter) and start running again. I keep a slow and steady pace up "Big Mama" and do not stop at the top. One accomplishment over last year. I try to start picking up the pace at mile 3. I set my eyes on somebody and make sure that I try to pass them or at least keep them in sight. I get over by the zoo and think that it is almost over. I try to pick up the pace again. I then think of one of the things that Rob said when we got to the Zoo. I start to run faster. (Rob said that he was going to yell "Bear Loose" and just run like there was no tomorrow). This puts a smile on my face!! I don't remember much of the rest except crossing the finish line.

It took a long time after I finished for the lady to get my chip off. All I wanted was a drink to get that taste out of my mouth. As soon as that was done, there was Bridget to give me a great big hug!!! You can see that picture on Syracuse.com. It did not make the Oswego addition of the paper, but it shows the friendship that you have with your running partners!!!

So I get a drink of water and I get my time. Gun Time 44:53. Chip Time 43:50. About 4 minutes off from last year. Am I happy? Hell ya, I'm beyond happy on what I did.

So we had to leave the Tipp Hill party to see Brian's Soccer Game. But boy is was a good rush for now. Next is the Koman Race for the Cure. From last year, I can only do better!!!

No comments: