Sunday, August 19, 2007

WILLOWBAY 5K Race Report

This is what I wrote in my Running Journal, while I was RICEing......

Willowbay 5K for Women

Date: August 18, 2007
Time 9:00am Sunny/Cool
My time: 33:43 Finished 170
Teresa's time: 28:16 Finished 106

With a pulled muscle on Monday my goal was to finished the race, but what I got was more.

I went to the race by myself because Ron again decided that if the kids went to the race, Andy would not make it to the birthday party he was invited to...So after he said that I left.

I went to Longbranch Park were the race was being held to meet everybody. I get there and see Teresa, Rob, Mom and Dad.....the came to cheer us on!! Teresa and I start stretching. There is a big crowd this year. Teresa wanted to try to win the Sister/Sister category. Last year we came so close to winning that if she ran by herself and I just did what I did, we would have won. This year, I don't know?

We see Trac, Bridget, Bridget's friend Karen and we start to get ready for the race. We also see our friend Brandy, who ran with us last year. She came to cheer on her friends from this year's running class and to see who from last year was there. It was so good to see her. Jen came and brought Clifford and Lucy to the race to cheer us on. It was a great surprise to have Jen and the Greyhounds there.

We line up for the race and Trac asked me what my goal was. I said, "Keep up with you". After last week, my big goal was just to beat my time from last year.

At 9am the gun goes off. Teresa goes off with Karen, since Karen is a long distance runner and has more speed than I do. I stay with Bridget and Trace. Trac's goal was to run a 10:30 mile (I think). We are trying to keep a good pace and I believe that we are. We get to the first mile marker and the time keeper calls out "9:55". I'm feeling good. I'm thinking that Trac and Bridget feel the same.

Right before the turnaround, the muscle that I pulled on Monday is giving me mild twitches. We get to the turnaround and we are at a good time. I can't remember what he called out, but I remember feeling happy about it.

All of a sudden, I have shooting paid in the back of my thigh (the muscle that I pulled). I scream out (I think). I know that I can not keep up the pace that I was doing. But I know that I don't want to stop, but I don't want to be in so much pain. I back off my pace quite a bit. I know that Trace and Bridget are worrying about me, (Bridget keeps on looking back....I think she is talking to me, but I don't remember) but they have to run their race.

I just keep on thinking that I don't want to disappoint Teresa. She has done so much for me, when it comes to my running. I have to finish the race. Right now, I remember things, but I don't think there are in the right order, except towards the end. These are some of the things that I remember.

One point between the 1/2 way mark and the 3 mile mark, I have to walk. The pain got so bad, I try to speed walk. This way I am able to get rid of some of the shooting pain. Once some of the pain subsides, I start running again at a slow pace. I am now willing myself from one telephone pole to another.

I remember a older lady coming up next to me saying that I have a good pace and she has been following me....I tell her thank you, but I don't know how much longer I can do it. This must happens before I start to speed walk. At the water stop on the way back, I know that I don't stop, I take a sip of water and throw the rest on my head. Why I do this, I really not that hot, so I don't know.

So I am still willing myself from one telephone pole to another. I do this until I see Jen and the dogs. Jen is giving me encouragement.....I just know that I can finish the race.

Then I see Teresa!!! She has comeback to run me in. She is talking me in the whole way. Telling me that I am going to finish and that I have to just keep running so that I will beat last year's time. Then I see Shannon and Kris. I hear them cheering me on. Along with My mom, saying that I can do it!!! I am now trying to sprint to the finish line. I have this thing mantra, "If the end is near, SPRINT. It will get over quicker" So this is what I am trying to do. I now have the shooting pain back again, but I just want to finish!!!

I cross the finish line at 33:43!!! I still don't believe it because I walked and slowed my pace down after the pain. I start to cry because I was happy to finish, I got my PR for this race, and I was in so much pain as I sprinted. Mickey, the race coordinator was there and she gives me a hug. I don't remember what I told her, but I was glad that I finished.

Then everybody comes up to me. I still don't believe my time. But at this point, I just wanted to walk off the pain.

I love Teresa, my Parents, and my friends. For giving me the encouragement, training and support I needed for this race. I can't thank them enough!!!

Ron does feel sorry that He was not there. I pulled into the driveway right when there were leaving to go to the birthday party. We he saw me limping out of the van, he had a very concerned look on his face. He even asked me if I was OK (which sometime he ever does). As I am writing this....He is taking care of the kids and letting me rest and ice my leg. OK he does care!!

Today, I'm a little sore and still have trouble going up and down the stairs. But I'm going to take it easy again today. I'm taking the kids to camp and putting a lawn chair into the lake and just sit there. I will tie a long piece of rope onto the boat that the kids play in and then tie it to the chair that way the kids will be near me and I don't have to walk around on the rocks!

I still wonder what time I would have gotten if I did not hurt myself......we just have to wait until next year. Now it is the Bud Run 10K next.....BRING IT ON!!!!


P.S. - We finished 15th in the Sister/Sister out of 30 entries......alot more than last year Oh well. We tried Teresa, we tried!!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did awesome Sue! And to finish the race with such a good time after straining your leg... quite an accomplishment! We're very proud of you! :o)

Jen

runswithdog said...

You would have been right with us or ahead if you didn't pull up lame :-) Ron should feel sorry, he missed a great sight with you finishing.

All my tomorrows said...

Way to go, Sue! I'm sorry you were hurting, but what I read is that you showed some true guts! Now rest and get that muscle healed up properly!

:-)